VTU has introduced Choice Based Credit System ( CBCS) from the Academic year 2015-16.
Features of CBCS
- CBCS provides choice for students to select from the prescribed courses (Core, Elective & FoundationCourses)
- This involves Credit Based Semester System (CBSS), under with requirement for awarding a degree or certificate is prescribed in terms of numberofcreditstobecompletedbythestudents.
- VTU adopts absolute grading system wherein the marks are converted to grades, and every semester results will be declared with Semester Grade Point Average (SGPA) and Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA). The CGPA will be calculated every semester, except the firstsemester
- The grading system is as per the following letter grades
Grade and Grade Points
- A Student obtaining Grade `F’ shall be considered failed and will be required to reappear in the examination.
Such students after passing the failed subject in subsequent examination/ s will be awarded with ‘E’ grade irrespective of marks he/she scores in the subsequent examination/s.
- Number of attempts taken to clear a subject/s shall be shown in the transcripts
Grade Point Scale
- Continuous Internal Evaluation (CIE) procedure is adopted. The CIE marks for theory is based on three tests conducted for 50 marks each. The final test marks shall be average of three tests proportionally reduced 30 marks.
- Assignment is given for 10 marks.
- The final IA is awarded by sum of average CIE marks of 3 tests and assignment marks for total of 40 marks.
- The CIE marks of 40 is awarded in case of laboratory based on weekly evaluation of lab records after conduction of every experiments for 24 marks and one lab test for16marks.
- The Semester End Examination (SEE) for both theory and laboratory shall be conducted by VTU for 100 marks, which will be reduced to 60. Minimum passing mark is 40 for both theory and lab with SEE score and IA put together.
Addition & Exemption subjects for 2015 & 2017 scheme joining 2018 schemeClick here
Conducting parallel classes PGClick here
Regulations governing the B.E degreeClick here
Scheme to be studied for I-year- I & II-semClick here
Schemes to be studied by higher semester studentsClick here
Single application format for readmissionClick here
Vertical progression for 2015 & 2017 schemeClick here